A few weeks ago, I was thrifting at Goodwill when I stumbled upon a set of two, six-drawer wooden side tables. I was in the market for two nightstands, and thought the vintage side tables had definite nightstand potential! I knew a little paint and new hardware would bring these back to life!
The picture below shows what one of the wooden side tables looked like when I brought the pair home from Goodwill. They weren’t very pretty, but had potential! With a little paint and some new hardware, it’s easy to transform a thrift store side table into something amazing.
How To Paint A Side Table:
- Side Table
- House And Canvas Chalk Finish Paint
- House And Canvas Oval Brush
- House And Canvas Wax Brush
- 120 Grit Sandpaper
- Lint Free Cloth
- Soap And Water
- House And Canvas Furniture Wax
- Hardware – Cabinet Knobs or Drawer Pulls
1. Remove any hardware, and inspect your side table for surface damage. Depending on the condition of your side table, you may need to lightly sand damaged areas with 120 grit sandpaper.
2. Wipe the side table clean with a lint-free cloth. If there is any grease or grime on the side table, use a mixture of dish soap and water to remove.
3. Stir your paint.
4. Use your Oval Brush to apply a small amount of paint to your brush.
5. Using the Oval Brush, apply House&Canvas Chalk Finish Paint to your side table.
6. Apply a second coat of paint after you have allowed the first coat to dry for an hour. Allow the side table to dry overnight.
7. With a Wax Brush, use House and Canvas Furniture Wax to seal your side tables. Furniture Wax is available in clear, amber, and dark. If you have never used wax before, check out the House&Canvas How To Wax section for tips and tricks.
8. To complete the project add new hardware. Depending on the configuration of your side table, you may need cabinet knobs, drawer pulls, or both.
Thank you to @Militarywife_farmhouse_life for contributing to this post. The side table was painted using House&Canvas Chalk Finish Paint in Champagne and sealed using House&Canvas Furniture Wax in clear. For $5 off of your next House And Canvas purchase, use the code MILITARYWIFE.